Survivor Outreach Services
- Survivor Outreach Services
Our Fallen Soldiers have paid the ultimate sacrifice. Their Families deserve our respect, gratitude, and the very best we can provide. If you’re a surviving Family member, Survivor Outreach Services (SOS) offers you access to support, information, and services, closest to where you live, when you need it and for as long as you need it.
Survivor Outreach Services is part of the Army Casualty Continuum of Care. It’s designed to provide long-term support to surviving Families of Fallen Soldiers. Our goal is to reassure Survivors that they remain valued members of the Army Family.
Survivor Outreach Services helps in many ways:
- Support Coordinators. The loss of a loved one often results in tremendous grief, which can be overwhelming. When faced with a tragedy, you may be wondering what direction to take. Your SOS Coordinator is your link to finding the resources and answers that will work best for you. Your local Support Coordinator is available to meet with you as you journey through this difficult transition by providing direct services as well as information, referrals, and recommendations. He or she can also connect you with support groups, spiritual resources, and bereavement and financial counselors. Your SOS Coordinator can also help you request and obtain copies of documents, navigate local, state, and federal agencies, and direct you to additional Survivor resources.
- Financial Counselors. In times of emotional distress, figuring out what to do about finances can create a heavy burden. Survivor Outreach Services Financial Counselors provide professional financial information and services in areas such as investing, estate planning, tax issues, and basic budgeting. Our Financial Counselors are committed to helping you create financial security. They also help ensure you get the information you need to make sound financial decisions.
- Gold Star Advocates provide support and address complaints about casualty assistance or receipt of benefits.
To learn about the symbols of honor surviving military families wear, visit www.GoldStarPins.org.
- Survivor Outreach Services Mission
- Expand and improve services to Survivors.
- Provide education on the roles and responsibilities of all agencies within your community.
- Improve services and streamline the assistance process for you and your Family.
- Provide a Support Coordinator, Financial Counselor and Benefits Coordinator available for your assistance.
- The SOS program will serve as a holistic multi-agency and multi-component strategy to centralize casualty operations and decentralize programs and services.
- The SOS is designed to provide support services to survivors of Soldiers who have fallen in combat as well as support to the survivors of all Soldiers who have passed while on duty.
- The SOS program will provide short term and long-term case management, (network of providers); benefits counseling; financial planning; legal assistance; personalized and integrated web-based support; one-stop service provider; service delivery based on specific individual needs; support as long as the Family member wants/needs support.
- In addition, the SOS support coordinator will provide awareness education to the military community about the needs of survivors and maintain linkage between survivor and the Army.
- Survivor Outreach Services (SOS) Financial Counselor
+1 (803)751-1103 COMM
+1 (803)734-1103 DSN
Individual counseling services are available in all areas of money management. The Financial Counselor works closely with the Casualty Assistance Center’s Benefits Coordinator, the Army’s Legal services, as well as community agencies to help ensure financial issues are addressed.
Survivor Outreach Services Financial Counselor offers a wide range of services to assist ID card Family members with their financial affairs. Under the Survivor Outreach Services many of these same services are now available to Survivors who are non-ID card Family members.
- Financial Assessment and Budget
- Heroes Earning Assistance and Relief Tax Act
- FRYScholarship/Dependent Education Assistance (DEA)
- Dependent-Indemnity- Compensation (DIC)
- Survivor Benefit Plan (SBP)
- Social Security Insurance(SSI)
- Tax Assistance & Coordination
- Assess Home Owner Status
- Credit Counseling Services
- Assist in Unclaimed Property
- Bond Searches
- Other Resources and Referrals
- Helpful Links
Army Emergency Relief Program
Bereaved Parents of USA
American Widow Project
Children of Fallen Soldiers Relief Fund